02 April 2015

Candy eggs (not the kind you think)



One of the things I think Americans have a hard time with is savory gelatins. In France, they enjoy "terrines," or pre-cooked meat layered in a loaf pan with other ingredients -sometimes gelatinous meat juices - and refrigerated, sliced and served as a first course.

That said, I went to the grocery with my friend Brooke and found this candy in the bulk aisle at Auchan. It's similar to what Americans would recognize as gummies like gummy bears or worms. It's sweet, but made with pork gelatin and shaped like an egg, sunny side up.

We took photos, of course, because we both thought it was interesting and kind of funny, but mostly because I think Americans would find them not very appetizing. Which is funny, because we eat gummy worms, but gummy eggs - otherwise an actually acceptable food - in gummy form seems to be off-putting.

1 comment:

Aileen said...

I really like those egg gummies but I can't remember when I would've eaten them. It is really interesting, though, how different tastes and food presentations are.