02 April 2015

Ed Wood Cafe


There's an American burger place here in Talence right by the University of Bordeaux Science and Tech campus. I have to say they really nailed the American nostalgia thing. It's full of posters, kitsch, statues of movies stars, US license plates and there's even a drum set and old Looney Tunes cartoons playing on TV. The burgers are pretty good, about the price you'd pay at Red Robin and they have mint chocolate chip ice cream, which is my favorite and not very common here.

One thing I noticed is this: next to Heinz ketchup to accompany your cheeseburger, they have also Heinz Dijon mustard. I tried it on my burger thinking I wouldn't mind it, since I do love me some Maille where I would never ordinarily eat French's. But it was just too much! French people think French's doesn't really taste like anything, and it's nothing like Dijon mustard, it's true. Dijon is spicy - as spicy a French palette normally likes. But it's just too strong! What's ironic is that French's is French at all, but that's exactly what you need on a good ol' American burger!

The best part is to see what bits of American culture the French are aware of, retain and reformat to create this atmosphere of Hollywood 1950s nostalgia.

No comments: